Thursday, June 08, 2006

Talking to Myself

Blogs really have democratized the web.

I remember back in the 1990's if I wanted to post something I would have to convince friends with web programming expertise to help me. Sometimes I had to pay for it.

Today blog’s are so common everyone seems to have one. There’s no cost to start one and it’s based on your available time. The irony is that everyone thinks they have a destination where friends and netizens visit daily. This most likely isn’t the case but we convince ourselves anyway.

Since it’s your own soapbox to stand on, you can say just about anything. I don’t even know who’s reading my blog. I have no idea why you would read my blog.

In the past few weeks, I’ve attended marketing conferences where the presenters have promised their presentation in exchange for visiting their blogs. Most of their blogs are focused on industry specific discussions.

When I started my blog, I started writing marketing focused articles. A friend posted a comment stating that I was excessively serious and should talking about things near and dear to me. I took her advice and I’ve been writing completely subjective information ever since, relevant only to me.

I think the moral of the story is not to take yourself too seriously. Nevertheless, many people do, based on reading their blogs. Just because blogs are, a free venue for expressing your opinions doesn’t make it interesting or factual. The tone of many blogs is to be an authority on particular subject. It seems a little like posing to me. The information is usually pedestrian, borrowed, and commonplace across most industry journals.

Just because you posted it on your blog doesn’t mean that you discovered it. It’s probably posted on a hundred more blogs.

Just have fun nobody’s listening anyway. They’re all too busy writing their own blogs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home